Sunday, 2 July 2017

diary of a wimpy kid: the long haul

On Saturday 27th May we all went to the Genesis cinema in the morning and saw Diary Of A Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul. It was okay, though probably a bit young for Maisie now - faithfulness to the series she grew up with was a big part of it. The kids from the first batch of films were too old now, so they'd recast the kids - and the parents too, so Alicia Silverstone was the mum (reminding me rather of Becky in appearance). Mark Kermode thought it was terrible - I didn't know this in advance - but I didn't, although it was full of implausibilities that annoyed me (not least the abandoning of so many of their possessions on the road, the kind of detail that always keeps nagging away at me for the rest of a film).

(Afterwards we went to Nando's, then got a bus to Stratford and rode hire bikes in the Olympic Park, and had tea in the velodrome, my first time there.)