Thursday, 1 June 2017

morris folk club - may

It was Morris Folk Club on Tuesday (30th May). Singing with pleasure all evening, of course, including songs by the choir and songs by everyone. But songs I sang by myself were Intro (by Ariana Grande), Where Two Hawks Fly (by The Corries) and (best of all, of course, since I prefer our duets) The Death of Queen Jane with Ginny (the version Karine Polwart sings, with a harmony of our own devising).

I thought I'd like to sing something by Ariana Grande, if I could, and when I listened through the songs on My Everything, which Maisie has, the lovely, short opening song, Intro, was most appropriate, so I learnt it. (It was short enough that I sang it twice.) I didn't give it much of an introduction, as I was afraid I might get a bit emotional (I really am turning into a bit of an old softy). There will always be very bad people, there will always be good people, and there will always be music. Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

(Maisie doesn't actually have many CDs - she mostly listens to Spotify on her phone and laptop. The Ariana Grande was a December present, which I think she put on her wishlist because a friend liked her; she certainly hasn't listened to that CD as much as, say, her Adele CDs.)

Where Two Hawks Fly was written by Ronnie Browne, I suspect to show off his range, so you have to pitch it carefully. I made a hash of it - too high - when I sang it at Sharp's several years ago (on the night I first heard Morris Folk Choir, trivia fans), but it went okay this time. The other two went pretty well too, I think.

Full set list here.