Monday, 15 May 2017

laser eye surgery

So it became apparent as the doctor spoke to me that today's pre-op appointment for laser eye surgery was actually an op appointment for laser eye surgery.

(- 'Do you have any questions?'
- '[realisation dawning]... When will I have the surgery?'
- 'In about five minutes.')

(At my eye test earlier in the year it was apparent that the right lens had really clouded over and the sight had really deterioriated; I hadn't realised it until the eye test. This was not unusual, apparently, after lens replacement, and just needed the clouding lasered off; the optician wrote to my GP to refer me to the hospital, which they did.)

Quick, easy, painless, sight restored to tip-top condition. I love the NHS, and the lovely French doctor pinging away at my lens with her laser like some extraordinary video game. I could hear clicks in my head as the laser made good contact with the material.

Funniest thing, as always, is signing a surgery consent form which you literally can't read because of the drops in your eyes.

Funniest thing for me, that is. Funniest thing for everyone else was the fact that I went all the way home with the '*this* eye' arrow felt-penned on my forehead.

Here's the photographic evidence, taken once I'd got home.