Thursday, 7 July 2016

a morning in london

In advance of its impending demise, this morning I made a trip up to BHS, purveyors of trousers to Iain MacDonald for many years, and bought in its closing down sale enough trousers to last me for - I was going to say 'twenty years', and then realised that that's now synonymous with 'the rest of my life'. Which is a sobering thought.

It does mean I can now put on no further weight for the next twenty years/rest of my life. (Indeed, it would do no harm to lose a few pounds.)

I got off the bus home at Parliament Square because I saw on Twitter there was a march going on in support of Andrea Leadsom, and I thought seeing such a thing would be a once in a lifetime opportunity. I missed it, sadly, but I did decide to go into the House of Commons, on a whim, where I saw most of the business questions to leader of the house (which all seemed to go, essentially, 'can we have a debate on X?', 'we'll see'), the 'Select Committee Statement on the publication of the First Report from the Defence Committee, Russia: Implications for UK defence and security' and attendant questions (which was interesting), and the opening of an Online Abuse debate.

(Meanwhile, Bethan's frittering away her time at No1 Court; I ask you.)

After I came out I did see a cheerful man with a cardboard handwritten sign saying 'Vote Leadsom or fight the country'; 'the whole country?', I nearly asked him; 'one at a time or all in one go?'. (Still not really sure what he meant. Countryside Tories?)

I love living in central London (and working part-time).