Saturday, 11 June 2016

sharp's in may

On Tuesday 24th May we didn't have a Morris Folk Choir rehearsal, but instead went along to the singers night at Sharp's Folk Club in Cecil Sharp House. About a dozen of us went, and half a dozen of us sang - Tim, Jen, Brian, Tanja & I, Mark, Tim & Jen, and I.

Tanja and I sang The Parting Glass (singing two out of the three parts, in the absence of Ginny), which went pretty well (I'd thought everyone would just pile in from the start, since it's such a well-known singalongy song and Sharp's is such a joiny-in club, but people held back admirably and mainly just joined in the refrain).

For singing by myself I was going to do Garten Mother's Lullaby, but as we'd had a couple of other songs in foreign languages I had a quiet practise during the interval to see if I could attach the short Fhir a' Chinn Duibh to it; I found I could start them at the same note, and found it went better to attach the Gaelic verse to the end, so that's what I did, and it came off okay too.