Thursday, 10 March 2016

first and last sentences

One Instagram account which posts photos of books also posts the first sentence of the book, which I thought was interesting. I don't think I'll do that on Instagram, but when I remember I will do that here in the posts about books I've read. I think I'll also include the last sentence, if it doesn't give anything away.

Here's a catch-up from books in the charity shop bag (I'll probably go back and drop them into the related posts too).

Stewart Lee, How I Escaped My Certain Fate:
First line: I never wanted to be a comedian.
Last line: And that's how I escaped my certain fate.

Dylan Thomas, Portrait of the Artist as a Young Dog:
First line: The grass-green cart, with 'J. Jones, Gorsehill' painted shakily on it, stopped in the cobblestone passage between 'The Hare's Foot' and 'The Pure Drop.'
Last line: The light of the one weak lamp in a rusty circle fell across the brick-heaps and the broken wood and the dust that had been houses once, where the small and hardly known and never-to-be-forgotten people of the dirty town had lived and loved and died and, always, lost.

Edgar Wallace, Flat 2:
First line: A shot rang out sharply, and Captain Hurley Brown did not need the direction of the sound to guide him to Robert Weldrake's door.
Last line: God bless you!

Agatha Christie, Dead Man's Folly:
First line: It was Miss Lemon, Poirot's efficient secretary, who took the telephone call.
Last line: 'There are some things that one has to face quite alone...'

Edgar Wallace, The Joker:
First line: Mr Stratford Harlow was a gentleman with no particular call to hurry.
Last line: He was an excellent judge of human nature.