Sunday, 17 January 2016

how I escaped my certain fate

On Sunday 10th January I finished Stewart Lee's How I Escaped My Certain Fate, a partial autobiography - primarily about his professional life, primarily from 2001 to 2008 - constructed around the transcripts of three stand-up shows, transcripts which were heavily footnoted with detailed background and explanation. It was a fascinating insight, very well written, and so much more interesting than just reading, or even seeing, the stand-up shows in question.

First line: I never wanted to be a comedian.
Last line: And that's how I escaped my certain fate.
Dedication: To Ted Chippington [inspirational comedian mentioned in the book]
The cover. Heavily typographical, with a superfluity of quotation marks, for no obvious reason (representing archness/irony?); the green circles for no obvious reason either. Perhaps all just because 'someone like Stewart Lee wouldn't have a typical book cover, yeah?' Still has a quote from the Times on it, though.