Friday, 9 October 2015

this boy

On holiday in Harris I read This Boy by Alan Johnson, finishing on Friday 28 August. I enjoyed it quite a lot. I'd heard it was good, and it was certainly full of good review quotes at the start of the book, but a couple said things like 'much more than a misery memoir', which made me wary, as I really can't abide misery memoirs (and I did know his childhood wasn't idyllic).

But the quotes were accurate; it was certainly the story of his childhood, but one which rather than taking the world around it as simply the backdrop for a me, me, me story, set the story in the context of the world of the time and used the story as a way to tell you what the world was like then. And by 'the world' I mean Britain and London in the 50s and 60s. Well written, and interesting.