Tuesday, 1 September 2015

catherine maciver

Through the 50th/1984 school anniversary Facebook group and related Facebook conversations, I'm hearing about classmates who have died since the 40th reunion. Annice mentioned Hector Macdonald and Anna Morrison, neither of whom I can place, which doesn't make me feel very proud of myself.

(In fact, I can't place most of the people who have posted comments on the Facebook group page, which is the kind of thing which makes me unsure about going along to a reunion, if such a significant proportion of those there are people I don't remember. But then, just think of those you do know who will be there.)

Someone else mentioned Catherine Maciver, and when I queried whether this was the one from Sandwick, East Street I think, Carol confirmed it was. The person who originally mentioned her said she had died of MS the year before last or early last year.

I was so sorry to hear this; I have very fond memories of Catherine, and we were friends in the same circle for a while. As with so many of my former classmates, I have no idea of how her life went after we left school.

I remember in particular one bog slog we did - when most of the school did a sponsored walk in the moor - Catherine and I walked together and talked for quite a section of it. I don't expect it stayed long in her memory particularly, but it was very significant for me, because really it was the first time (let's say in my Nicolson years) that I ever had a normal, extended conversation with a girl.

(I often think the things we remember about others, or the things we associate with them, might completely baffle them if they knew - a song or album, say, that when we hear we think of them, that perhaps they don't feel a personal connection with at all any more, or even remember particularly liking.)