Saturday, 20 September 2014

4.50 from paddington; more martin beck novels

On Saturday 30 August, on the train back from Inverness, I finished 4.50 From Paddington by Agatha Christie, which was okay, and read all of Murder At The Savoy, another Martin Beck novel by Sjowall and Wahloo, which was okay too.

On Tuesday 12 August I had finished The Locked Room, another Martin Beck novel by Sjowall and Wahloo. I thought it was okay, but not as good as those I'd read before.

If I'd read the last couple of Martin Becks I've read first (and these weren't the fifth and sixth in the series, but ones I'd picked up in charity shops), I'm not sure I'd have been so taken with the series. The later ones seem to be getting less about the detective story and more about politics and society, which some people clearly like but I don't.

Murder At The Savoy:
First line: The day was hot and stifling, without a breath of air.
Last line: He wondered if he'd be able to sleep on the train.

The cover of my edition was from the same series as The Laughing Policeman one, and the same remarks apply.