Friday, 11 April 2014

the events - london 2013 run coverage and reviews

I've had a draft blog post for ages of this name (except I've had to stick '2013' in the name now). I had to go back through emails to see the links I'd found on the theme. I didn't realise I hadn't blogged any of them, but searching the blog I see that I had blogged lots of links to reviews of the Edinburgh run and elsewhere, so that's probably what I had in my mind.

First a couple of comments from a couple of things shared on the Morris emails after our first performance.
I wrote, 'One audience member (my wife, so possibly biased) told me that we were good, and, when asked, said that she couldn't tell whether our early entry into the Norwegian coffee song was accidental or deliberate and it sounded fine. On the other hand, an old lady I walked out of the theatre behind was asked by her friend what she thought and she said, 'boring, interrupted by songs', which I thought was hilariously wrongheaded. There's no accounting for people.'
Mark said, 'One young girl walked past me and Don then turned to tell us were we were excellent! I am sure that this an compliment for the choir and the play and Not of how good looking Don and I are. Or was it?'
Fiona said, 'Sarah overhead two women in the loos commenting that "the choir were very professional" and a boy behind her said that it was one of the best things he'd ever seen. And she didn't even notice our false coffee start.'

Some other reviews I noted or was pointed to, roughly in the order they came across my path, oldest first (as with the earlier reviews, most of the photos used were from our dress rehearsal; also as with earlier reviews, mostly very favourable; mostly of course not reviews from our performances). Daily Mail (Quentin said the choir was the best thing about it, which I don't think he meant as high praise, because he didn't like it). British Theatre Guide. Arts Desk. Financial Times. Time Out. Evening Standard. Singing Works (article by another choir re their involvement). Metro. Telegraph. Exeunt. Civilian Theatre. What's On Stage. Blouin Art Info. Partially Obstructed View blog (a review from one of Morris's performances, though says nothing in particular about the choir). Amanda Palmer. Article by Rudi on the ATC blog. South Bank London. Londonist. Matt Trueman. Observer (a short review from one of Morris's performances, nothing in particular about the choir, but has a comment from choir's Hannah, which I've just noticed). ATC blog item from one of the Dublin run choirs. ATC Storify of Tweets on The Events at the Young Vic. Young Vic blog item by Young Vic choir member.

Two blogs I found more recently which mention Morris. Toffs ('Trips for Older Females and Fellows') ('There is a different choir at every performance and on the night I attended, it was the Morris Folk Choir, who sang beautifully and spoke lines and generally participated in the action as well as, at times, becoming the audience listening to the story of Claire and the Boy'). A Night on the Town blog (the two bloggers went to the Morris matinee and weren't impressed by the play or the choir: 'It was also extremely confusing to understand why the Morris Folk Choir didn’t seem like they knew what they were doing for the whole production. Finally, at the end of the play, you learn that the choir who performs with the actors changes every week. There was no doubt that this was another recurring technique to signify how people in society are all the same, and how we are all in these world issues together. Though ironically, the choice to only explain this arrangement at the end of the performance made the choir’s unprepared nature distracting from these intended portrayals. ... come the end of the show, a member of the Morris Folk Choir could essentially sum it all up for me. He was quite literally falling asleep, and resembled an 8-year-old boy being forced to go to singing lessons by his parents. Something tells me he found it hard to keep up with what was going on as well.' and 'Similarly, although having a different choir join the cast for each performance is an interesting concept, it interferes with the fluidity of an already complex script. In addition to distracting us from the themes that are explored, it also fails to add a further layer of understanding or artistic value to the finished product, as the Morris Folk choir appeared so dazed and confused it was almost distracting.' Don't think I believe anyone was falling asleep, and we were probably among the most prepared choirs; funny what people see, but not impressed by their reviewing, which seems to have ground to a halt after a month.)

Finally, the Guardian end of year review which lists The Events as the No 1 theatre event of 2013.