Tuesday, 4 March 2014

the tempest at the old vic (2003)

Further to the previous post, re last year's Tempest at the Globe with Roger Allam, I thought out of interest I'd search for reviews of the Old Vic production I saw with Derek Jacobi. It's from such a search that I see it was in 2003. Interesting that doing my usual review google on an event from eleven years ago doesn't kick up two virtually solid top pages of reviews, as usual, but more general ones about the actor or the play or the theatre or the director.

Let's see if any solid memories are prompted by any of these. Guardian ('enjoyable, without being particularly memorable'). Albemarle theatre archive page for production (some quotes). BBC London. British Theatre Guide. Telegraph. Shaksper.net ('the global electronic Shakespeare conference', new to me). Independent. Kevin Quarmby (actor turned academic). A section on director Michael Grandage's site, who presumably has a section on each of his productions (substantial and admirably detailed, with a set of links to reviews including some of those listed here). LondonTheatre.co.uk. Variety.

No, nothing. Surprisingly few production pics to help jog my memory too.