Wednesday, 12 March 2014

the penultimate truth; bloomsbury hundred must-read fantasy novels

A week yesterday I finished The Penultimate Truth by Philip K Dick. It was okay, which is about as good as it has got with the Philip K Dicks I've read since my first, Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?, which I did think was very good. I'm on the verge of giving up on him; maybe I'll try a short story collection of his; it can be hard to work out with these old hands which of their books are actually reckoned to be the best or classics, rather than just 'influential', 'important' or 'rediscovered/hidden gems'.

On that day I also finished reading my little Bloomsbury guide to 100 Must-Read Fantasy Novels, which is a useful resource. I won't hold against it the fact that I've already given up on the only novel I had so far started on its advice, Gardens Of The Moon.