Wednesday, 12 March 2014

another tyndale commentary done

Last Thursday, in preparing for housegroup, I finished another IVP Tyndale commentary, this one by David W Baker on Nahum, Habakkuk and Zephaniah. It did the job.

The next thing we're going to study in housegroup is Matthew, so there's a very wide range of commentary options there. Considering breaking away from IVP Tyndale for a while; the Tyndale one is by RT France, who I've read before and is good, but he has done a more recent, bigger commentary in a different series, and there are also notable ones by Leon Morris (who I've also read before and is good) and Don Carson (who I've never read but is supposed to be good). Here are three interesting 'Matthew commentary recommendations' pages I came across on Challies (with further suggestions in comments), Patheos and Ligonier (all at the teaching/academic end rather than devotional/pew end, but that suits me fine).