Saturday, 22 February 2014

the tombs of atuan

On Tuesday, I finished The Tombs of Atuan, the second in Ursula K LeGuin's Earthsea Trilogy (in my edition, though in a shop yesterday I saw a one-volume containing four books, so she obviously wrote a fourth since my edition).

It seems quite different from the first one, A Wizard of Earthsea, which I read (from that volume) several years ago and enjoyed. I enjoyed it more than this one; I liked this one okay, but if I'd read this one first I wouldn't have read another. I remember in particular thinking that it was very cleverly written; it felt like a book for adults but which seemed suitable for children in a way which you couldn't quite put your finger on until you realised it was the language used, which was completely child-friendly without being childish or talking down. I'm not sure if she wrote it as children's literature at all, in fact.