Saturday, 4 January 2014

some buried caesar; over my dead body

On Wednesday 29 May I finished Some Buried Caesar by Rex Stout, a Nero Wolfe. I'd got the impression it was one of his classics, but I wasn't that taken with it. And on Friday 27 December I finished Over My Dead Body, another Nero Wolfe, in a nice old green Penguin edition. Again, the plot wasn't anything special - Yugoslavian wartime intrigues, and by the end the first murder in particular seemed to go unrecapped, having done its job of setting the plot in motion.

But with the Nero Wolfes I forgive the plots, because I enjoy the writing and the characters a lot.

One quote from Over My Dead Body (p107, 1955 Penguin edition), Nero Wolfe to a banker who wrongly thinks Nero Wolfe is trying to blackmail him:
'You're suffering from an occupational disease. When an international financier is confronted by a hold-up man with a gun, he automatically hands over not only his money and jewellery, but also his shirt and pants, because it doesn't occur to him that a robber might draw the line somewhere.'