Monday, 2 December 2013

a london calling t-shirt

A friend at church (Maisie) was wearing a t-shirt last week with the cover of The Clash's London Calling on it. London Calling came out in 1979, when I was twelve. The cover design is a take-off of Elvis Presley's eponymous debut album, which had been released in 1956 - eleven years before I was born, twenty-three years before London Calling was released, ancient history in both respects. London Calling was released more than eleven years before Maisie was born, and thirty-four years ago from now - again, ancient history in both respects.

I'm not sure what that all means, but it made me think of the nature of history, mortality, perspective, the passing of time, and the power of a good album cover.

London calling - yes, I was there too. And you know what they said? Well, some of it was true.