Monday, 25 November 2013

a clubbable woman

On Thursday 7th November I finished A Clubbable Woman by Reginald Hill, the first of the Dalziel & Pascoe novels. I had had in mind to read the first of those for a while, as from what I'd heard it sounded like I might like them (puzzles), and then I saw in a Book People catalogue from Radio Times they were selling the first six for six or seven pounds, so I got them.

It was okay, though not very puzzly. It was from around 1970, I think, and I didn't warm to either of the detective characters (in fact it was quite of its time in terms of sports club and sexual politics, which I found odd to start with until I realised when it was first published). I'll stick with them, though, and see how they develop. They became a very popular TV series, but I've never seen any of them. It didn't have the feel of an introduction to a series, setting up the characters, but wrote about them as if you were familiar with them already, which I found interesting.