Wednesday, 31 July 2013

the unfinished clue; why didn't they ask evans?

Finished The Unfinished Clue, by Georgette Heyer, on 8 July, and Why Didn't They Ask Evans, by Agatha Christie, on 18 July. Continuing to work my way through both of these authors - Georgette only her crime, though she's equally famous for her historical romances, which I think she wrote more of, and I should probably give one a go.

The Unfinished Clue was from 1933, and was pretty good. I posted my favourite line from it on Facebook, which was spotted by a colleague who didn't know she wrote crime, but knew her historical work because his mum had read them.
'if she wasn't a foreign lady, which accounts for it, I'd say she was barmy'
- Sergeant Nethersole, in The Unfinished Clue (1933), by Georgette Heyer

Then for balance I posted:
Gravedigger: It was that very day that young Hamlet was born - he that is mad and sent into England.
Hamlet: Ay, marry. Why was he sent into England
Gravedigger: Why, because he was mad. He shall recover his wits there. Or if he do not, 'tis no great matter there.
Hamlet: Why?
Gravedigger: 'Twill not be seen in him there. There the men are as mad as he.
- Act 5, Scene 1

Agatha I'm working through more or less chronologically the ones I haven't read before. This was one which I wasn't sure if I'd read before, when I was in school, so I read it again anyway. I didn't much like it; one of the kind where a couple of young people take it upon themselves to put themselves in danger and investigate themselves, and spend large passages creating theroies about who, why and how which you know are a waste of time reading.