Wednesday, 31 July 2013

saturday 13 july - a day in town

On Saturday 13 July, with Bethan at choir practice, the younger generation and I had a day in town. We went to Trafalgar Square, where there was a Get London Reading event. Stayed there a little while, then into Canada House, where children could pick up a free book from a selection. Then a bus up to the British Library, where there was a set of free activities associated with the new Full English archive resource. We heard the Sharp's Folk Choir, which sounded very professional, if anything a bit too formal in its arrangements; it had certainly developed since I had been at what I think was it or its precursor some years ago, where it was a much smaller group meeting at Sharp's; we did a lot of foreign songs, and didn't seem to make much headway, and I didn't stick with it for more than a term, I think.

It was cherub's idea to go to the paying exhibition, Propaganda, and we did so after lunch and enjoyed it. It was my idea after that to go to the family singing session, but there weren't many people there; we learnt and sang a song, but didn't stick around to join in the performance afterwards; I wouldn't have minded, but I was outvoted.

In the library I spent a book token I had on books 1-3 and 5 in the Martin Beck series, having enjoyed No 4, The Laughing Policeman, so much.

We went to the South Bank, where I bought a fistful of paperbacks at the bookstalls, mostly crime, plus some annuals for cherub. We met Bethan, ate at Yo Sushi, and headed home.