Friday, 19 July 2013

private eye highlights: famine eats his horse; who wrote anne frank's diary

A McLachlan cartoon in the current Private Eye (12-25 July). Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, obviously, but two of them - Death, with Famine behind him as passenger - on one horse. Death is saying to War and Pestilence, 'Things are really bad - Famine's eaten his horse.'

Also from current Private Eye:
Enquiry of the Month
'Dear Sir/Madam,
'I am writing with a query. I was just wondering if you could help me with finding the original author of Anne Frank's Diary (1947). I am aware Otto Frank edited it, and I know that this could possibly make him the copyright owner. I would really appreciate it if you were able to help me find the original author from the copyright page in the original publication.'
- email sent by editorial intern at Simon & Schuster, 24 June