Thursday, 6 September 2012

love will tear us apart; to know him is to love him

A couple of memories of home from the last few days.

On Friday as we came into the Olympic Park through the Greenway gate, very quiet, we turned a corner and up a slope by ourselves, and we saw the Olympic stadium and suddenly heard, loud and clear from the Park sound system, Love Will Tear Us Apart by Joy Division, as if it were soundtracking our arrival. I wasn't that keen on it at the time - I like it more now - but it has resonance and took me back; it seemed poignant, and incongruous - and just as incongruous that I also should be in this place, over thirty years later.

And on Monday we had our actual last full day of school holiday, thanks to an inset day, and went to the Chatham Historic Dockyard. We had a good time, and I thought frequently about how much my father would have enjoyed it. I'm sure my brother and nephew would enjoy it too; the line goes on. When I got home I listened to Phil Spector's finest hour - or finest 150 seconds or so - To Know Him Is To Love Him, by The Teddy Bears. I always remember that he got the title from a gravestone inscription, 'To Have Known Him Was To Have Loved Him', which always makes me think of my father.