Sunday, 26 August 2012

barnet 1 bristol rovers 1

On Tuesday evening I celebrated the almost-completion of another issue of the magazine with an outing to every Hobbit's favourite football ground, Underhill (opposite end of the Northern line from Mordor Morden), to see Barnet again. It was my second trip, having seen them a couple of seasons ago (near the end of the season when they were battling relegation), when I fancied a football match and found that Millwall now felt too expensive for me. I looked at a couple of League 1 options which were also going on in London on Tuesday, but still felt a bit expensive; League 2 definitely my level price-wise, when all I really want is a bit of a football fix and I'm happy with League 2 quality. Barnet or AFC Wimbledon it is, then.

Being the unfocussed and flighty dabbler that I am, this will probably satisfy my urge to see live football for a while (just as going to the Comedy Store a couple of months ago for some comedy did in that respect).

(I always remember Giles Brandreth saying that someone gave him an embroidered cushion which said 'Don't dabble: focus.', which I can relate to.)

It was Barnet 1 Bristol Rovers 1 (BBC report here). I enjoyed it, and stood on the terrace not far from where I stood last time. It's very handy, not far from the tube and a journey with no changes there and back.

A couple of quite different things struck me. One was that none of the stands seemed to be lit at all: if the floodlights had failed it seemed we would all be in total darkness (though I guess they may have some emergency lighting). The other was that I feel very unskilled at watching football. Barnet were on top in the first half of the first half and the second half of the second half, and Bristol Rovers the rest of the time, but I couldn't see any reason why this should be. I also found it impossible to see how the linesmen and referee could work out what had happened in so many incidents, not just fouls but who had put the ball out and even whether it had gone out for a throw-in or corner.