Friday, 13 July 2012

ed miliband's week

Ed Miliband's week: The BBC's sources, the Octonauts and a call from David Cameron: "It’s not the scale of our problems that concerns me so much as the smallness of our politics."
- New Statesman, 11 July. Entertaining and interesting.

'My three-year-old son, Daniel, wanders in as I’m making my final preparations for the Fabian conference and claps in the right places (mostly). Encouraged, I finish off my article for the Sunday Mirror in the car and arrive at the conference centre just in time for someone from a BBC comedy programme to try to slap a Post-it note on my back inscribed with the words "Kick me".'

'Much – perhaps too much – of Sunday is dedicated to Daniel’s latest craze, The Octonauts. Captain Barnacles, Kwazii and Peso understand message discipline better than most. "Explore! Rescue! Protect!" is now hard-wired into my brain.'