Monday, 20 September 2010

the pile

I've also been going through my pile of various forms of printed paper, and have made a start at throwing some of it away, mainly old newspapers. The things that need filing or reading, or typing up, will take longer to work through. The oldest substantial layer was from 2005, well back into the period where finding an online link to the interesting thing in the paper wasn't an option, so lots of things of that nature (to add to the dedicated pile of cuttings which formerly sat on the shelf beside me until it got too precipitous and precarious and was put into a bag for life of its own, which I have just now moved to my bedside 'for the moment'. Also the period where there are lists of things I've worked out and drawn up for myself which I would now just Google and find online, like discographies. It made me think of Arcadia by Tom Stoppard, which featured a mathematical hermit of a previous century, spending a lifetime working out calculations which could be done in the twinkling of an eye on a computer today.